August 11, 2010

A creative family!

When it comes to sewing and being creative with fabric and furniture I am not certainly not the one in my family with the biggest ideas. I wouldn't even say that I have the skill or patience for creative work. However, my mother is a great painter and a great tailor. My sister is a great designer of children's clothing, a talented tailor and an extraordinary inventive person. You can see all my sisters work and her creative ideas at her blog at KINOKO. The blog is in Swedish but you if you use the Google Translator at the bottom of the blog it will translate it to your desired language.

Occasionally ideas pop into my mind and occasionally I get an urge to use my hands to creative something, when this happens I decide to go for it. I wish I was better at following things through but it is difficult when there are so many different and exciting crafts to discover. I started calligraphy, then I discovered card making, then knitting and then I got my beautiful dog, Betsy. Today I spend a lot of time with Betsy and I spend a lot of time "nesting" at home. If there is one thing that I enjoy the most it is definitely cooking!

I have quite a few cookbooks but I rarely cook according to recipes. I don't buy cookbooks without pictures as I want cookbooks to be inspirational and exciting. I tear out recipes of magazines and I sort them neatly in a binder or if they are short recipes I fit them into my recipe book. I watch food network and collect recipes from family, friends and colleagues. You will see a few recipes on this blog, most probably more posts on cooking then anything else!

One of my favorite cooking blogs is 101cookbooks. A few weeks back I found a recipe on Grilled Salt & Vinegar Potatoes on this website which I knew my husband would love. If my husband could be a bottle of vinegar he certainly would. He pours vinegar on everything he eats, even Salt and Vinegar potato chips. He adds vinegar on rice, on pizza, on stir fry or casseroles, pretty much on everything which is why I knew that this recipe would be a hit!

I made a small modification to force the recipe possible for an apartment without a grill (suitable for broiling in the oven in other words). I also exchanged the white wine vinegar  to Japanese rice wine vinegar as it is the only vinegar we use in our home.Finally, I wasn't sure what waxy potato was so I used the potatoes I had in the refrigerator, Russets ......


2 cups  Japanese rice wine vinegar
1 pound  Russet Potato, sliced 
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, plus more for seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

fennel salt to taste (grind fennel seeds and sea salt) 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Place the sliced potatoes in a saucepan, cover with the vinegar. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 min. Turn the heat off and leave the potatoes in the vinegar for 30 minutes. Drain and gently toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Heat the broiler and broil until golden on one side, around 5 minutes, flip each potato slice and broil other side. Serve immediately with sprinkled salt or fennel salt to taste.

Although the recipe is for 4 people we finished it all in one sitting..... 

3 comments:

  1. Det ser riktigt gott ut måste prova. Salt och vinäger chips är ju gott.

    Pallen blev ju så fin en sådan vill jag också ha.

    Kram
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds AND LOOKS delicious and not too difficult to prepare. I'll be trying this one out very soon. Just have to buy the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hermina, thanks for dropping by my blog today. It's so nice to meet you...

    ReplyDelete